24h購物| | PChome| 登入
2008-05-21 00:36:05| 人氣285| 回應0 | 上一篇 | 下一篇

3/26/08(Wed.) Handout

推薦 0 收藏 0 轉貼0 訂閱站台

Fo Guang English Club
3/26/08(Wed.) Handout 講義
一、Conversation 會話:Addressing a Disaster 災難降臨
Conversation A
Mrs. Wallace: Wallace Dresses, Wendy Wallace. How may I help you?
華嘞斯太太: 華嘞斯服飾店,我是溫蒂‧華嘞斯,有什麼是可以幫助你的?
Patrick: Mrs. Wallace,(Coughs) this is-(Continues coughing)
派崔克: 華嘞斯太太,(咳嗽)我是_
Mrs. Wallace: Sorry, could you repeat that ? I couldn’t hear you.
華嘞斯太太: 對不起,你可以重複一次嗎?我聽不到你。
Patrick: (Coughing) This is Patrick Long.
派崔克: (咳嗽)我是派崔克‧隆。
Mrs. Wallace: Patrick! That’s strange. Shouldn’t you be here you by now? You know we have a busy today, and……
華嘞斯太太: 派崔克!奇怪了。你現在不是該到這裡了嗎?你知道我們今天會很忙的,而且……
Patrick: Excuse me for interrupting, Mrs. Wallace, but I don’t think I can make it today. I’m so sorry.
派崔克: 對不起打斷你,華嘞斯太太,但是我今天沒辦法上班了。我很抱歉。
Mrs. Wallace: What? Oh, Patrick, that’s unacceptable! Jenny Lewis is coming today to have her measurements taken. You’re the only tailor we have! I have no idea what to do!
華嘞斯太太: 什麼?喔,派崔克,這令人無法接受! 珍妮‧露易絲今天要過來量尺寸, 妳是我們唯一的裁縫師。我不知道該怎麼辦才好!
Patrick: I know it’s bad timing, but I’m really feeling under the weather.
派崔克: 我知道現在時機不對,但是我真的很不舒服。
Mrs. Wallace: What are we going to do? Miss Lewis’s wedding is in three days!
華嘞斯太太: 我們該怎麼辦? 三天後就是露易絲小姐的婚禮了!
Patrick: I know you won’t like this idea, but Danny could take the measurements for me.
派崔克: 我知道你不會喜歡這個點子,但是丹尼可以替我量。
Mrs. Wallace: Danny?! I don’t know, Patrick. I mean, Danny is so strange.
華嘞斯太太: 丹尼?!我不知道耶,派崔克。我的意思是,丹尼那麼怪__
Patrick: I know you prefer to keep him in the back room, but he should be OK to take one measurement.(Coughs)
派崔克: 我知道你寧可讓他待在後面,但是涼一次尺寸而已,它應該可以。(咳嗽)
Mrs. Wallace: I guess we have no choice.
華嘞斯太太: 我想我們別無選擇。
Patrick: Please accept my apologies. I feel really bad about this.
派崔克: 請鳩售我的道歉,對此我真的很過意不去。
Mrs. Wallace: That’s all right. We’ll just have to do our best.
華嘞斯太太: 沒關係。我們也只能盡力了。
Conversation B
Mrs. Wallace: Miss Lewis! We’re so glad to see you!
華嘞斯太太:露易絲小姐!真高興見到你!
Danny: (Ready with measuring tape and pins) Can I begin now, Mrs. Wallace? Can I?
丹尼:(準備好了捲尺和大頭針)我現在可以開始了嗎?華勒斯太太?可以了嗎?
Mrs. Wallace: (Under her breath) Danny, relax.
華嘞斯太太:(低聲說)丹尼,放輕鬆。
Miss Lewis: Please forgive me for being so late. I had a million things to take care of.
露易絲小姐:請原諒我那麼晚到。我有幾百萬件事情得做。
Mrs. Wallace: Think nothing of it.
華勒斯太太:不用在意。
Danny: Can I use the pins now?
丹尼:我現在可以用針了嗎?
Mrs. Wallace: Danny! (To Miss Lewis) I’m sorry to inform you of this, Miss Lewis, but our tailor won’t be back until tomorrow night.
華嘞斯太太:丹尼!(對露易絲小姐說)很抱歉我得跟告訴妳,露易絲小姐,我們的裁縫師傅要到明天晚上才會回來上班。
Miss Lewis: Tomorrow? I’m not very happy about that. What about my measurements?
露易絲小姐:明天?我對這點不是很高興。那我量尺寸的事怎麼辦?
Danny: I have measuring tape and pins!
丹尼:我有捲尺和大頭針!
Mrs. Wallace: This is Danny, the tailor’s assistant. If it’s OK, he can take your measurements.
華嘞斯太太:這位是丹尼,裁縫師傅的助手。如果可以的話,就由他為妳量。
Miss Lewis: It’ll have to do.
露易絲小姐:也只能這樣啦。
Danny: Waist, twenty-six. Let’s mark that with a pin!
丹尼:腰圍,二十六吋。我們用大頭針來標示。
Miss Lewis: Oh! You just stuck that into my hip!
露易絲小姐:喔!你把針戳進我的臀部啦!
Mrs. Wallace: Careful, Danny!
華嘞斯太太:小心點,丹尼!
Danny: Terribly sorry. OK, it’s time to measure the neck!
丹尼:非常抱歉。好吧,現在要量頸圍了!
Miss Lewis: (Choking) That’s tight!
露易絲小姐:(窒息)太緊了!
Danny: It’s fourteen inches! Now I’ll mark that with a pin!(Raises pin)
丹尼:頸圍十四吋!現在我要拿針來標示!(拿起針)
Miss Lewis: Um, Mrs. Wallace, on second thought, I think I’ll wait until tomorrow after all. Is seven o’clock OK?
露易絲小姐:呃,華勒斯太太,再次考慮後,我想我還是等到明天好了。七點可以嗎?
Danny: But there’s more to measure! More pins!
丹尼: 但還有更多要量耶!更多的針!
Mrs. Wallace: Danny, give me those pins! More pins! (To Miss Lewis) Not a problem. I hope you can accept my apologies.
華勒斯太太:丹尼,把那些針給我!(對露易絲小姐說)沒問題。希望妳能接受我的道歉。
Miss Lewis: No apologies necessary. Just keep him away!
露易絲小姐:不需要道歉。只要讓他離我遠一點就好!

Vocabulary單字
1. cough (v.) 咳嗽
2. unacceptable (adj.) 不能接受的;不令人滿意
3. tailor (n.) 裁縫師
4. apology (n.) 道歉
5. inform (v.) 報告;告知
6. assistant (n.) 助理;助手
7. hip (n.) 臀部
8. choke(v.) 窒息;哽住
9. measuring tape (n.)捲尺
10. pin (n.)大頭針

二、Idioms 片語
1. under the weather 身體不舒服
2. waste(one’s)breath 指某人白費口舌
3. under(one’s)breath 指某人壓低聲說話
4. hold(one’s)breath 只庰氣以待

三、Reading 閱讀:
The One-Million-Star Phenomenon
星光傳奇正發燒
The reality talent show One Million Star has been the hottest TV sensation for the past year. What started out as just another talent show has turned into a social phenomenon. It provides a stage for those who wish to become the next Jolin or Jay, and it also motivates families to gather together each week to see the next show. Even seventy-year-old grandmothers are anxious to catch the new episode every Friday evening.
Beyond the show’s success, a more important effect is that it has reminded us of the virtues of daring to dream, working to reach a dream, and comradery among contestants. Instead of the aggressiveness seen in most talent contests, the bonds between the contestants on One Million Star and the encouraging nature of the judges give the show a positive tone.
If you are already a big fan, you can tune in for the third season of the show. If you have missed out on the previous seasons and would like to learn more about the show, check out Kang Lee’s upcoming documentary, Star. This film will show you why this little talent show has had such a strong impact on Taiwanese society.
《超級星光大道》是過去一年來最火紅的電視節目。原本只是個單純的選秀節目,卻成為了一種社會現象。它為那些想要成為下一個蔡依林或周杰倫的人提供了一個表演舞台,也促使全家人每個禮拜聚在一起觀賞節目。甚至連七十歲的阿嬤每週五晚上都熱切地等著看新一集的播出。
節目成功之外,更重要的影響是它讓我們喚起許多價值觀:勇於作夢、努力逐夢和真摯的戰友情誼。少了大部分選秀比賽的競爭氣氛,《超級星光大道》參賽者之間的惺惺相惜,以及評審立意良善的鼓勵為節目帶來正面的調性。
如果你已是超級星光迷,你可以繼續鎖定第三季的節目。如果你錯過了前幾季而想要知道更多內容,不妨看看由李崗製作、即將上映的紀錄片《星光傳奇》。這部電影會讓你知道為何這個小小的選秀節目能對台灣社會產生如此巨大的影響。
五、Weekly Sentence 每週一句

You can’t have your cake and eat too. 魚與熊掌不可兼得

台長: Lambo
人氣(285) | 回應(0)| 推薦 (0)| 收藏 (0)| 轉寄
全站分類: 不分類

是 (若未登入"個人新聞台帳號"則看不到回覆唷!)
* 請輸入識別碼:
請輸入圖片中算式的結果(可能為0) 
(有*為必填)
TOP
詳全文